Wolfenstein: The New Order - week of September 20th

This past week i have done a few hours of PC gaming.

Some of that was on Wolfenstein: The New Order.  Being 6 years old or so, my PC handles it on high fraphics settings without even breaking a sweat.  But the graphics are good - I've been a PC gamer long enough that I remember the early days of 3D graphics, and we've come along way since those days in the early-to-mid 90s!

I like the way there is a proper story to the game, with various plot points being revealed as you play, but some of these are not forced on you so you only encounter them if you explicitly look for them (both as extra items to find in-game, and also various voice-and-text items that are revealed as you play but have to be accessed from the game's menu and "diary".

The action is good too - there are plenty of firefights against massed enemies, and there are genuinely different tactics that work best for different types of enemies.

I admit i have it on the 2nd-easiest setting, mainly because I found out there are 2 separate timelines you can play in the game, each with subtle differences, and that branching occurs right near the start of thegame.  So my intention it to do a 2nd play throuhg, on the other timeline, once I'm done and I jsut don't have the time for making multiple attempts at the trickier firefights!

In case you're not aware, the newer Wolfenstein games, starting with Wolfenstein in 2009, are set in an alternate universe where the Nazis triumphed in World War 2.  They also add various different slightly-sci-fi technologies that the Nazis have developed, in The New Order this means various mechs, drones, and guns that use electricity.

It's very enjoyable, the level I am currenlty playing through is i think somewhat near the end of the game - where you, as Blazkowicz, have managed to get to the Nazis' moonbase.


Also this past week, I played just a very short (~10 minutes) time on Command And Conquer: Red Alert 3. On this game, I'm playing the singleplayer campaigns, one at a time, beginning with the Soviets.  I'm a few missions in now - I have just reached the one where you are trying to drive the allies out of Europe completely.  When I played, it was just to complete the previous mission - the last part was to protect an enemy science lab that I had captured - I had to occupy/defend it for 10 minutes of attacks from the allies.  I managed this by building a swarm of "twin blade" aircraft (basically attack helicopters) and having them defend the lab.  This was helped by me already having quite a few of them from earlier in the mission.

Finally, I played some more Torchlight 2 during the week as well.  I have raeached the "Sundered Battlefield" area and so i went exploring and clearing out the enemies dotted around.  Almost all of the enemies in Torchlight 2 do not resapwn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first post of 2021!

Games played 13-Dec to 19-Dec

Monkey Island 2 completed!