Star Wars: Legion - a Star Wars tabletop miniatures game

Star Wars: Legion is a tabletop miniatures game, set in the continuity of Star Wars, made by the company Fantasy Flight Games.  I did have a bit of a play of a beginner setup at the UK Games Expo last year, with my good friend Craig.  But it wasn't really a proper go at it.
Fast forward a load of months, and Craig decided to "pull the trigger" and buy the starter set.  This was just before the whole Covid situation hit the UK, so we only managed to get around to having a proper game of Legion last Monday, the 10th August.
I chose to lead the Rebel scum, and Craig was the evil Empire.  We chose to play the beginner scenario, with only some basic terrain (barricades) in specified postions, and our squads of troopers and our vehicles did not have any special weapons/other equipment.
Legion is elegant - not too complicated - by just using several different colours of dice (separately for attacking and defending) rather than a load of tables you have to consult.  So each different colour of dice has a different makeup of the various symbols on its sides, meaning some have a better chance of success and therefore are used for better weapons/armour.
We also stuck to the basic rules, so we had no option to jump over the barricades, for example.
The Empire force for this scenario consists of 2 squads of 5 basic Stormtroopers, 2 74-Z speeder bikes, and Darth Vader himself.  The rebels also have 2 squads of 5 basic troopers, plus a single AT-RT walker, and Luke Skywalker.  Each squad does include a unit leader, and although for the first scenario neither force includes any special weapons in any of their squads, the boxed starter set does include some for both forces - and we'll be adding them in later games as we get used to playing.
Overall it took us about an hour and a half to play - I forget for sure but I think we did go right up to the last round of the game.  The first couple of turns seemed to go well for me commanding the rebels - I moved up both of my trooper squads to be within shooting range of some of the Empire forces, my AT-RT did a small amount of damage, killing an Imperial trooper, and Luke bravely dived into close combat with both of the Empire's speeder bikes, taking them down over the course of 2 or 3 turns. But then it started falling apart.  Because I was the one moving my squads into shooting range, the 2 squads of Imperial troopers were able to just sit back and use the "aim" action to get better shots at my troops, and they did exactly this, decimating both of my squads.  Vader also joined the fray, heading into mortal one-on-one combat with his own son, Luke.  Luke fought back bravely, causing a lot of wounds to Vader, but then Vader hit back, hard, and managed to kill...i mean "knock out"! Luke.  So by the end of the game, the only surviving rebel unit I had was the walker.
Mulling over how the game played, i made a couple of real bad mistakes that i paid dearly for - firstly, being the player who moved their squads of standard troops into shooting range of the similar 2 enemy squads, and secondly, keeping the walker back and just using its ranged attack - taking a proper look at its unit details, it appears to be better suited to melee combat.
So i will try to remember both of these points the next time i play.  Although I'm sure adding in the more advanced rules and special weapons will switch things up a bit.
It's an enjoyable miniatures game and I like that it's faster to play and get the hang of, but at this point i'm not sure I like it enough to buy into getting my own force for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first post of 2021!

Games played 13-Dec to 19-Dec

Monkey Island 2 completed!